What is the HPAT®-Ireland Exam?
The HPAT®-Ireland exam is the medicine admissions / entry test selected by the Irish Medical Schools for prospective medical students and is administered by the Australian Council for Educational Research Limited (ACER).
The HPAT®-Ireland exam measures a candidate’s logical reasoning and problem-solving skills, non-verbal reasoning, and the ability to understand the thoughts, behaviour and/or intentions of people. It does not test academic knowledge and candidates do not require special understanding of any academic discipline.
HPAT®-Ireland is a registered trademark of the ACER. CS Career Services Ltd. is not in any way affiliated with nor endorsed by ACER.
Get a Free HPAT® Information Guide
Why was the HPAT®-Ireland Exam introduced?
The HPAT®-Ireland exam was introduced for several reasons, some of which are outlined below.
Before 2009, to study Medicine, students were required to achieve close to 600 points in the Leaving Certificate Exam. Many students were alienated from Medicine in the past, due to what was seen by many potential candidates as unattainable Leaving Certificate Exam results.
In 2009, the HPAT®-Ireland exam was introduced as the undergraduate entry test to Medicine. It was used to curtail the 'points race' and the need to attain a near perfect Leaving Cert Exam score. Since the HPAT®-Ireland exam was introduced, students require a reduced number of points from their Leaving Certificate Exam.
Universities also felt that certain qualities such as problem solving, interpersonal understanding and analytical skills, which are deemed necessary for the medical profession to carry out their duties, were not adequately assessed in the Leaving Cert Exam. As a result, the HPAT®-Ireland exam was designed by ACER to help assess these skills.
Who can sit HPAT®-Ireland Exam?
The Structure of HPAT®-Ireland Exam
|Section||No. of Questions||Time|
|Section 1: Logical Reasoning & Problem Solving||44||65 mins|
|Section 2: Interpersonal Understanding||36||45 mins|
|Section 3: Non-Verbal Reasoning||30||40 mins|
|Section 4: Written English |
(UL Applicants Only)
The ‘Weighting’ of HPAT®-Ireland Exam Scores
Registering for the Official HPAT®- Ireland Exam
How do I get a good score in the HPAT®-Ireland exam?
We have outlined a general Study Plan Guide for you to develop your own personalised HPAT® Exam Study Plan. This study arrangement has been successful in aiding thousands of Leaving Certificate students to achieve their desired HPAT®-Ireland score, and was the study plan used by the highest ever achieving HPAT®-Ireland Exam candidate who scored 243/300.
Study Plan Guide
1. Visit and research thoroughly the official HPAT®-Ireland exam website run by ACER: here
2. Read the “Selection Criteria for Undergraduate Entry to Medicine”. It can be found by searching for “Undergraduate Entry to Medicine” in Google.
3. 1-Day Preparation Course in your chosen location – (HPAT®-Ireland Exam Complete Package customers only*)
4. Career Services Section 1, 2, 3 e-Learning platform Tuition modules. (see our complete package preparation course here)
5. Career Services Section 1, 2, 3 Online Practice Questions. Please note that it is not necessary to have these completed before attending the preparation course.
6. ACER Practice Test 1 You will receive this with worked out solutions when you officially register to sit the HPAT®-Ireland exam.
7. ACER Practice Test 2 This is copyrighted by ACER and as a result can only be purchased from the official HPAT®-Ireland Exam website. We have provided fully worked out solutions to this practice test in Solutions Modules in our e-Learning platform.
8. Supervised Mock Exam – (HPAT®-Ireland Exam Complete Package customers only*) If you are unable to attend please contact us and the Mock Exam can be posted out to you instead. Fully worked solutions will be given to you at the end of this test. You should study these in the weeks before the official exam.
9. The official date for the HPAT®-Ireland exam is Saturday 23rd of February 2019.
To begin your preparation, see our superior preparation course here: HPAT®-Ireland Exam Complete Package